In this article, we will review:
- What is a routing question
- How to see what routing questions are currently on an approval route
- How to add/edit routing questions
- Limitations on routing questions
Note: Only Owners and Form Admins who have Form Creators roles can update routing questions.
What is a routing question
A routing question is used to skip steps within an approval route. Typically on routed forms, submissions need to go through all the steps in order to be completed. With routing questions, you can skip the steps that aren't always necessary, or even complete the form before reaching the final step.
Some examples of routing questions:
- Allow site forms to skip site secretary approval and go straight to principals by asking if the initiator is a site secretary.
- Allow expense reports to skip special funding approval by asking if the expense uses special funding.
How to see what routing questions are currently on an approval route
- Click on the folder for a form.
- Under Settings, click on View Route.
- From here, you can see if a step has a routing question.
- Click on the step, and then Routing Question.
How to add/edit a routing question
Owners and Form Admins who have Form Creators roles can update routing questions. A Form Creator Level 1 can only add/edit questions on forms that are being tested, while Form Creator Level 2 can update question on forms that are active as well.
To add a routing question:
- Click on the folder for a form
- Under Settings, click on Edit Approvers/CC
- Click on the step you wish to add/update the routing questions for, and then on Routing Question.
- If the step already has a routing question, you'll be able to edit the question or delete it. To edit the question, click on pencil icon. To delete the question, click on the trash can icon.
- If the step does not have a routing question, you'll be able to add routing questions provided the form does not use any special settings that prevents routing questions from being used (more info here). Click on Add Question.
- Add in the question and answers. For each answer, you can select which step the submissions routes to, or complete the submission if no more approvals are needed. Click Save to add the routing question.
Limitations on Routing Questions
If your form is using the following special features, then there will be limitations on how the routing questions can be used:
- Bulk approval - Routing questions can not be on steps that have bulk approval enabled.
- Advanced Features - Routing questions can not be added or routed to steps using advanced features. These features are set on the back end by Informed K12. Please contact our team if you need to remove or update advanced settings to add a routing question.
If you have any questions on whether a step can have a routing question, please contact Support.