On the document editor toolbar there is a field to add time-based input. You can add the new field on new documents or a form you have previously set up. You can read about other tools available here.
Note:This article applies to form owners and creators only; Please contact your district people admin or other point of contact if you believe you should have form creator access.
How to add the time field to your document:
- Click on the time field button from the toolbar
- Add the time field as needed on your document.
- You will see a new option to the fields settings for the time field button in addition to the usual options:
• Required: Have the option of making the field required or optional.
• Field For: Assign the field for a specific step along your approval route.
• Editable by approvers?: Have the field be editable by approvers who have editing rights turned on.
• Time intervals: Allows the time input to round up or down to the nearest interval. You will have the option to round to a 15 min. interval, 30 min. interval, or the nearest hour. For example, rounding to the nearest 15 min. interval will change user input of 9:10 AM to 9:15 AM and 9:05 AM to 9:00 AM.
- Click Save.
How to add formula calculations with your time fields:
Please note: You must have at least two time field entries in order to use them on a formula calculation.
- Make sure you have Start and End time fields added to your document.
- Toggle advanced tools from the advanced options menu.
- Select the formula tool from the added options in your toolbar.
- Add a new formula field to your document.
- Change the calculation type to “Time duration”.
- Your time fields will now have a label such as “F1, F2, F3” you can use to calculate your Start and End times.
- Specify decimal rounding and field assignment.
- Click Save.
If you need to aggregate multiple time calculations:
- Add a new formula field.
- Make sure to select calculation type to “Number”.
- You will now be able to create formulas using previous time calculation totals.
- Save your progress
Considerations for end-users:
- People using the form must include AM or PM, and input time in a 12-hour format.
- The input will auto-format to an acceptable format as long as they enter at least "a" for AM and "p" for PM. For example, 1234p will be auto-formated to 12:34 PM.
- The user will see an “Invalid” warning if the time fields are missing the start or end time for a formula. They will be able to save progress, but will not be able to submit their form with an invalid field.
- We encourage you to let the form users know if the fields are rounded to the nearest interval to avoid confusion.